Under construction (links rechecked 8/25/08)
Below is a list for furthing reading on the Kokinshu and other English language works regarding classical Japanese poetry:
PRINTED WORKS CITED
For the Man'yoshu:
- Cranston, Edwin A., trans. A waka anthology. Stanford UP, 1993.
- Levy, Ian Hideo, trans. The ten thousand leaves : a translation of the Manyoshu, Japan's premier anthology of classical poetry. Princeton UP, 1981.
For the Kokinshu:
- Rodd, L. R., trans. Kokinshu: A collection of poems ancient and modern. Princeton UP, 1984.
- McCullough, Helen Craig, trans. Kokin wakashu: The first imperial anthology of Japanese poetry. Stanford UP, 1984.
- McCullough, Helen Craig. Brocade by night : "Kokin wakashu" and the court style in Japanese classical poetry. Stanford UP, 1985. A companion volume to her translation of the poems, history and commentaries on the poems.
- 2001 Poems for Japan 2001 : a site of classical poems with background and commentary developed by the staff and students of the School of East Asian Studies at the University of Sheffield, England as part of the Japan 2001 Festival.
- Waseda University Portrait Collection : includes portrait of Kakinomoto no Hitomaro posted earlier on homepage
- Introduction to Kokinshu by Lewis Cook : Lewis Cook is an interesting, careful and highly credible scholar whose work on the Kokinshu is worth serious consideration.
- Kuboso Memorial Museum of Arts : includes example of calligraphy by Ki no Tsurayuki posted earlier on homepage. (Aug 2008: link might be broken)
- Large list of online dictionaries and other databases : noted on Jim Breen's site, a very large list of links for Japanese language sites where on can search for words, birds, plants, etc., etc.
- Bird BD Hiraizumi's Birding Page (Jse) , Bird DB Uta (Jse) , Bird DB Greg Kunkel's Birdsongs , Bird DB Naturesongs : Online databases for birds and birdsongs.
- Kyoto Plums : Noted in reading aids to spring Kokin poems.
- Online Kokin Text (Complete) : At the University of Virginia Etext site.
- Kyoto Shinbun Digital Shokubutsu En : An OKish online database of plants.
- Animal Sounds DB Animal Sounds on the Net (Jse) : Online database of animal sounds around the world.
- Milord Club Kokin Pages (Jse) : An interesting personal website on the Kokinshu.
OTHER INTERESTING LINKS