This page: Races #1 through #15
Page two: Joe Breeze's complete Repack results


These are the most original documents of the sport of mountain biking, the handwritten and dated results from the races held at Repack (Fairfax, CA), missing only the first race.

All we know of the first race on October 21, 1976, is that Alan Bonds was the winner in 5:12, but all subsequent results were recorded in a battered notebook that I still have, shown at the right, and another that took its place when this one got too fragile to travel in a backpack.

Here are the first fifteen pages, representing races held in 1976 and 1977, with my notes.









These are the first recorded Repack results, for the second race, held five days after the first.

Participants are Fred Wolf, Alan Bonds, Bob Burrowes, Ariel (Alan Bonds' dog), Wende Cragg, Bob Peterson, Junior (Fred Wolf's dog), Jim Stern, Jim Adler. My name does not appear because I was the timer and starter, and couldn't both participate and officiate. Bob Burrowes is the winner in 4:50.

Note that the times are from time of day, in other words, from ordinary clocks, not stopwatches. Note also that none of these people had to be at work on a Tuesday morning.

Four days after the last race, and we held another. The results show that we had added the Larkspur Canyon Gang to the list of Fairfax participants, only a couple of weeks after the first race. Ken Fuetsch, Ian Stewart and George Newman were Larkspur riders. Joe Breeze is our winner in his first race at Repack.

The stain on the page is a drop of sweat that soaked through several pages.

Race #4

Just one month after the first Repack race, and now there are names of the Berkeley contingent, Berkeley Trailers Union (BTU) members Gordon Meyer, Duncan McCoy, Bruce Hepler and Doug McFarland. In just a month the word had got out to every local off-road community. Gary Fisher shows up for the first time, nipping both Otis Guy and Fred Wolf by less than a second for third place. Finally I got to ride, not very effectively in 19th place.

The times are given in hundredths of a second, which indicates that we had by then purchased the pair of digital timers that were used from that time forward. The handwriting is mine, but the calculations were obviously done on another sheet of paper and the results transferred to the notebook at some later time.

Joe Breeze adds a third win in the first six races. The handwriting and unique spelling are unmistakably Gary Fisher's.

This is the course record run of 4:22, set by Gary Fisher in the only race that I did not attend.

The handwriting is Gary Fisher's. This was my first time under the five minute standard that represented the badge of proficiency, but I'm twenty seconds off the pace of the good riders.

My slow time of 7:48 was due to one of the worst crashes I ever had on the course. I still carry scars from it.

No date, but it's race number nine by its sequence in the book. A low turnout, secret race to have some fun without the complications of the guys from all over the Bay Area. The names are in my handwriting, the numbers are in Gary Fisher's.

The handwriting is mine. For the first time there are prizes, and we had been doing this for only about six months. Local bike shops The Cove, Village Peddler and Sunshine were donating prizes. I have no idea who Mocus Bikes were or whether the frame was awarded. Note the fourth prize.

Must have been a slow day. Fred Wolf, Bob Burrowes, Alan Bonds and Tim DuPertuis, but no result.

Despite the faded appearance, this is the result sheet from cross-country race shown in Jerry Riboli's 1977 photo. The cross-country finish is shown with a time down Repack, which was the finish of the race.

Note the name Kent Bostick, second from the top. He was later the national road champion, and was a member of several Olympic cycling teams.

"CK" is me. A respectable time, but only fifth place.

The End of Repack

In 1979 a local TV crew from San Francisco's CBS affilliate, KPIX, filmed a Repack race, and after it was shown on the local program, "Evening Magazine," the segment went on the national version of the program. During the race, one of the participants fell and broke his wrist. Since suing me would have been pointless, he sued the TV crew, who came with better lawyers and beat the case. Until then I had never thought much about the liability exposure, but this caused me to shut down the race, and concentrate instead on my new business, MountainBikes. The next races did not take place until after the National Off-Road Bicycle Association (NORBA), established in 1983, made insurance available.

Home | Mountain Bikes | Fat Tire Flyer | Kelly Moving | APHIDS | Sons of Champlin | Reprints | Links