On this page, you'll find sites from learned institutions in a wide range of subject matter.
Colleges and Universities
- See Education
- Museum Sites Online
- Museum.com - Search for museums by category, by place, or by keyword; also find specific exhibits
- Museums (WWW Virtual Library)
- British Museum
- Smithsonian Institution: Museums (Search all collections)
- Web Exhibits
Open Archives / Digital Libraries
These sites collect all kinds of scholarly materials — preprints, e-prints, dissertations, library collections — and make them available in searchable archives. Much of this material, however, cannot be found with general search engines. Also, What is Open Access? by Charles W. Bailey, Jr.
- Europeana - Treasures from libraries, archives, museums, and universities of Europe
- Library of Congress Digital Collections and Services
- American Memory - Collections of American history and culture
- World Digital Library - Treasures from national and academic libraries
- California Digital Library - Scholarship from University of California faculty, e-books from UC Press, art and architecture images, data from state agencies
- Ibiblio - Collections in many subjects
- OAIster - A database of millions of documents in hundreds of open-archive repositories
- ARC: A Cross Archive Search Service - Experimental index of various archives (Old Dominion University)
- BASE: Bielefeld Academic Search Engine
- e-Prints UK Search - Searches U.K. open archives
- Public Knowledge Project Open Archives Harvester - Database of open-archive repositories, many of them in Spanish and Portuguese
- IMLS Digital Collections Registry (University of Illinois)
- OAI Registry at UIUC
- OAI Viewer - Choose an open-archive repository, get some recent records, even an RSS feed if you want. This is an experimental project from OCLC.
- Open Access Directory - Lists of open-access journals and repositories
- OpenDOAR: Directory of Open Access Repositories
- Registry of Open Acccess Repositories (ROAR) (eprints.org, University of Southampton)
- Repositories of Primary Sources - Directory of rare book libraries, archives, etc. The amount of material these institutions make available online varies.
- Inside CDL - Best practices, glossaries, etc. from the California Digital Library
- Open-Access Bibliography by Charles W. Bailey, Jr. (regularly updated)
- Open Archives Initiative (OAI) - Find out more about the OAI-PMH metadata standard, which makes open archives work together
- Preserving Access to Digital Information (PADI) - How and why to preserve digital materials (National Library of Australia)
- Nobel Prize - Official site
- Nobel Prize Internet Archive
- Nobel Prize Winners in Literature
- MacArthur Fellows Program - They give out half a million dollars — out of the blue — to people who are talented in their fields. Maybe you'd like to nominate me for excellence in Web pages?