Politics and Law
This page deals with politics and law generally. For sites on the politics and law of specific nations, see:
- Political Resources (Richard Kimber, University of Keele, U.K.)
- Keele Guide to Political Thought and Ideology on the Internet - Same school, different page with a different outline of politics
- Electoral Geography - Maps of election results in different countries
- Foreign Governments - Links to official sites of governments and government departments (Northwestern University Library)
- Governments on the WWW - No longer updated; some links are still good, however
- Parliaments on the Web
- Political Resources on the Net - Links to sites on the governments, political parties, elections, and media in every country
- Comparative Constitutions Project
- Consitute - "The world's constitutions to read, search, and compare"
- Constitution Finder - Constitutions (or similar basic laws) of the world
- World Public Opinion - Opinion on issues around the world
Political systems in different countries.
- Avalon Project - Historic documents, with an emphasis on treaties and other international agreements
- Full Text Reports - Reports from government agencies, non-profits, think tanks, etc. as discovered by librarians Gary Price and Shirl Kennedy (No longer updated. See Price's LJ InfoDocket)
- Journalist's Resource - "Research on today's news topics"; includes links to studies on current events
- Australian Government Publications
- Government of Canada Publications
- Publications Office of the European Union
- Publications New Zealand
- Canada: Library of Parliament research publications
- European Union: European Parliament Research Service
- United Kingdom: UK Parliament research briefings - From the House of Commons Library, the House of Lords Library, and the Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology
- United States: Congressional Research Service reports
Government Documents of Selected Nations:
Legislative Research Bureaus
Some countries' legislatures have agencies tasked with performing research for their members. When their reports are public, they can be valuable sources of information on current policies and issues.
- FindLaw - A portal for all kinds of legal information
- GlobaLex - Guide to international law
- Hieros Gamos - U.S. and international law
- Law and Politics: Internet Guide - U.S., Foreign, and International legal sources
- Law Library of Congress
- Guide to Law Online - Links to guides and primary texts for U.S. federal law, U.S. state law, laws of other nations, international law
- Famous Trials - From Socrates' trial to the present (University of Missouri, Kansas City)
- Trademark Checklist - Trademarked words and phrases (International Trademark Association)
- Robert's Rules of Order - 1915 ed. (Bartleby)
- Alternative Press Center: Links - "A list of our friends, allies, and useful resources"
- Bad Subjects - "Promotes radical thinking and public education about the political implications of everyday life." (EServer)
- Bureau of Public Secrets - The Situationist movement, various other subversive essays, and Kenneth Rexroth. I'm not sure what it all means, but there's a lot of interesting stuff here.
- IGC's Progressive Directory
- Jay's Leftist and "Progressive" Links (quotation marks Jay's)
- Arguing for Socialism - A bibliography by Mark Rosenzweig
- Socialist International - Organization of democratic leftist parties around the world
- WebActive - Current news and an extensive directory of links
- World Liberalism [TurnLeft.com]
- World's Smallest Political Quiz - Find out what your political philosophy is.
If you think this list is one-sided, make your own.
Human Rights and Civil Liberties
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) - See especially the Cyberliberties page
- Amnesty International
- Human Rights Watch
- Minorities at Risk
- U.S. State Dept.:
- EcoNet (IGC)
- Environmental Organization WebDirectory
- High Country News - "For people who care about the West"
- Mother Earth News - For those who want to practice what they preach
- National Environmental Directory
- Greenpeace International (What's this?)
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF) (aka World Wide Fund for Nature)
- United Nations
- United Nations System of Organizations - Index of the constituent parts of the U.N.
- U.N. Documents, including the U.N. Charter and Declaration of Human Rights
- Official Document System - Search
- United Nations Bibliographic Information System (UNBISNET)
- UNESCO Publications
- UNESCO Databases
- International Governmental Organizations (Northwestern U.)
- International Organizations and Groups (CIA World Factbook)
- City Mayors - News about city government worldwide
- ReliefWeb - News on relief efforts around the world. News comes from governmental and non-governmental organizations, news outlets, think tanks.
- U.S. House Committee on Foreign Affairs - Hearings, etc.
- African Union - Formerly Organization of African Unity
- Arab League
- Arctic Council
- Assocation of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- The Commonwealth - Organization of (mostly) former British colonies
- European Union (EU)
- Francophonie, Organisation de la - French-speaking nations and those with an affiliation with French culture
- Group of 8 (G8)
- Group of 20 (G20)
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) - The major industrialized nations
- Organization of American States (OAS)
- Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Chatham House: The Royal Institute of International Affairs - British research organization on international affairs
- Council on Foreign Relations
- Foreign Affairs - The most prestigious U.S. journal on the subject
- Foreign Affairs Online - International relations, from a U.S. perspective
- Foreign Policy Magazine
- International Boundaries Research Unit - Updates on the world's boundary disputes (Durham University, U.K.)
- International Relations and Security Network
- Migration Information Source - Voluntary and involuntary (i.e., refugees) (Migration Policy Institute)
- United Nations Depository Libraries by Country
- United Nations Depository Libraries in the U.S.
- Eldis: Gateway to Development Information - All aspects, kept current
- Engaged Buddhist Dharma Page - A Buddhist perspective on human rights and other issues
- Oxfam - The relief and development organization
Selected International Organizations:
Many of these organizations have a regional focus.
Charities and Other Good Causes
- Charity Navigator - Ratings and data on chartities
- Form 990 Finder - Nonprofit Organization Information Search
- Foundation Center - Find one to fund your project!
- Give.org - Information on charities (Better Business Bureau (BBB) Wise Giving Alliance)
- GuideStar - Information on non-profits and how to help your favorite causes
- Idealist.org - 29,000 nonprofit and community organization
- Meta-Index for Non-Profit Organizations
- Network for Good - Helps you find organizations where you can donate your money or time
- Volunteer.gov - America's natural and cultural resources volunteer portal
- Volunteer Match - Find volunteer opportunities