War and Peace
"I must study politics and
war, that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My
sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history
and naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to
give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture,
statuary, tapestry, and porcelain."
-- John Adams, 1780
War and Peace, generally
- Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS)
- Facts on International Relations and Security Trends (FIRST) - Check a country in multiple databases on war and peace, arms, development, etc.
- Federation of American Scientists - Seeks the truth about issues of war and peace
- Heidelberg Institut on International Conflict Research (HIIK) - Current conflicts (not all of them active hostilities) around the world
- INCORE: Initiative on Conflict Resolution and Ethnicity - Guides to nations where conflict is ongoing, peace agreements, Ethnic Conflict Research Digest, database of other resources (University of Ulster, Northern Ireland)
- International Relations and Security Network (ISN) - Analysis
- The Law of War (Internet Legal Resource Guide)
- National Defense Council Foundation - Maintains a list of world cross-border conflicts
- Institute for the Study of War - "Military analysis and education for civilian leaders," including very current analysis [understandingwar.org]
- War, Peace, and Security Guide - Thousands of links on the armed forces of the world, military science and history, international organizations, and peace and disarmament. See especially Contemporary Conflicts (Canadian Forces College)
War, Military Science
- Maps of War - Many animated maps show histories of various themes
- Aerade - U.K. portal for aerospace and defence (defense)
- Armed Forces of the World (Strategy Page)
- Geneva Conventions - Reference guide by the Society of Professional Journalists (includes links to the full texts of the documents)
- Homeland Security Digital Library - Parts of the site require a password, but accounts are available to U.S. citizens who work for the government or otherwise have a need for access.
- Military History and Military Science - An annotated list of reference Websites (Alcove 9, Library of Congress)
- Nuclear Threat Initiative - Analyzes the status of nations that have, might have, or want to have nuclear weapons
- World Military Guide (Global Security)
- Global Terrorism Database
- Bureau of Counterterrorism and Countering Violent Extremism
- Country Reports on Terrorism
- Air University Library's Index to Military Periodicals (AULIMP)
- Staff College Automated Military Periodicals Index (SCAMPI)
- Veterans History Project (Library of Congress)
U.S. State Dept.:
Military Science Indexes:
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial - Index of names commemorated on "the wall" in Washington, D.C.
- Virtual Vietnam Archive (Texas Tech)
- Nobel Peace Prize
- Women's International League for Peace and Freedom
- Carnegie Endowment for World Peace
- International Crisis Group - "Working to prevent conflict worldwide"
- International Peace Academy
- Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice
- Peace Research Institute Oslo
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) - Studies international law and military expenditures
- United States Institute for Peace - Did you know there was an organization chartered by Congress to study peaceful resolution of conflicts?