Judaica / Israel
Israel is the name of:
- The monotheistic people who have lived in the Levant for over 3,000 years,
- The descendants of that people worldwide, and
- A modern state in the land.
The article, Jew, on Wikipedia is a good introduction.
- Academic Jewish Studies Web Directory
- Aish.com - "Wisdom for living"
- HaReshima - "The Jewish Internet Portal"
- Jewish Community Online - Thousands of links (Jewish.com)
- Jewish Guide to the Internet [JewishInternetGuide.com]
- Judaism (Internet Public Library)
- Machers - Extensive directory
- My Jewish Learning - Excellent lessons on all aspects of Judaism
- Shamash - "The Jewish network"
- Soc.culture.Jewish Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Answers and Readings Lists
- Virtual Jerusalem - A portal with news and lots of links ("the place where Jews click")
- Web Sites for Jewish Studies (Princeton)
- More Judaica resouces (Yahoo)
- Jewish Encyclopedia - Online version of a reference work published 1901-1906
- Jewish University in Cyberspace (JUICE)
- Jewish Virtual Library - A large collection of Judaica; also fosters connections between Israel and the U.S. (us-israel.org)
- Judaism 101 - Excellent summary of beliefs and practices for Jews and non-Jews [jewfaq.org]
- BIP Database - Index of book reviews in the Israeli press (in Hebrew)
- RAMBI: The Index of Articles on Jewish Studies
- Swedish Jewish Bibliography (Judaica)
- Tel Aviv University databases - Bibliography of Zionism and full text of the Palestine Post (published 1932-1950)
- Index to Jewish Periodicals - Not available free online, but your library may offer it in print, on CD-ROM, or through its Web site
- Internet Jewish History Sourcebook - Original documents (Paul Halsall)
- Jewish History Resource Center (Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel)
- JewishGen - "The Home of Jewish Genealogy"
- Zachor: Faith During the Holocaust
- Israel news below.
- Jewish Telegraphic Agency (JTA) - "Global news service of the Jewish people"
- Jewschool is a nice Jewish blog: pro-Israel, pro-peace, anti-anti-Semitic
- Tablet - Daily Web magazine on Jewish life
Directories and Search Engines:
- Navigating the Bible - Study the weekly Torah and Haftarah portions; prepare for bar/bat mitzvah (includes Hebrew audio files)
- Temple Emanu-El Torah Commentary - From the big Reform synagogue in New York
- Torah.org - Commentary on the weekly Torah portion, current and upcoming holidays, and other aspects of Jewish life from an Orthodox perspective
- Mechon Mamre - Tanakh (Hebrew Bible) in Hebrew and English and Maimonides' Mishneh Torah in Hebrew only so far
- A Page of the Babylonian Talmud
- Dead Sea Scrolls
- Jewish Holidays at Aish
- The Jewish Year (Virtual Jerusalem)
- Shabbat Candle Lighting Times (HebCal)
- Passover Through Archaeology and Rare Documents [passoversite.org]
- The Homer Calendar - Count the days of the Omer with Simpsons characters
- Hebcal.com: Jewish Calendar Tools - Calculate dates, holidays, Shabbat candle lighting times, Torah portions, yahrzeits — even export a calendar to popular calendar programs! Available RSS feed for today's Hebrew date (What's this?)
- Kaluach - Get a Hebrew calendar (with holidays, Torah portions, etc.), have reminders of Hebrew dates e-mailed to you, download calendar conversion software
- Perpetual Jewish/Civil Calendar - Another program calculates the Torah portions for each week. (Alan Corré, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee)
- Jewish Birthday Calendar - Take a secular date in the past and find out when that Hebrew date will fall in the next few years. Works for yahrzeits as well as birthdays. (Akhlah.com)
- Kabbalah FAQ
- The Ten Sefirot of Kabbalah by Eliezer Segal. Also, notes from his class, Jewish Mysticism
- The Wisdom of Kabbalah - Loads of information and help for beginners. Takes the Orthodox view (e.g., that the Zohar is an ancient, rather than a medieval, book). (Bnei Baruch World Center for Kabbalah Studies) [kabbalah.info]
- Soc.culture.Jewish FAQ:
- What is Kabbalah and how can I learn about it?
- Who is allowed to study Kabbalah?
- Mysticism Reading List (Click "next subsection" at the bottom to go through the list)
- What is the Sefer Yetzirah?
- What is the Sefer ha-Bahir?
- What is the Zohar?
- American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (JDC) - Helping non-Jews as well as Jews around the world
- American Jewish World Service - Working for global change and fighting hunger, disease, and poverty in the developing world
- Mazon: A Jewish Response to Hunger
- Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism - Working for social justice causes
Jewish Holy Books
Jewish good causes. "You might as well be a mensch" — Calvin Trillin's father
- DataJEM: Database of Jewish Educational Materials (Jewish Agency)
- JewishFilm.com - The online Jewish film archive
- Jewish Heritage Video Collection - Films available to rent at locations around the U.S.
- Jewish Language Research Website - Hebrew, Yiddish, and many more
- Jewtastic - News about famous Jews
- New Jewish ValuesFinder - Reviews of children's books teaching Jewish values (Association of Jewish Libraries)
- Sholom Aleichem Network
- Steven Spielberg Jewish Film Archive
- Hebrew Songs.com
- Project Z'mirot - Songs from United Synagogue Youth
- Tot Shabbat - Audio files and lyrics of favorite songs
- Zemerl - Database of Jewish songs in Hebrew, Yiddish, and Ladino
- National Yiddish Book Center
- Great Jewish Books - A list of the 100 best
- Virtual Shtetl