Click on the XML icons to find RSS feeds. (What's an RSS feed?)
Primary Sources for Breaking News
- ABC News - Audio and video available
- Agence France Presse (AFP) (English-language edition)
- BBC News
- Africa News
- Asia News
- British News
- European News
- Mideast News
- United States:
Associated Press (AP):
News from Around the World:
News on Specific Subjects:
These sites take news from from many different sources. Most of them function as news search engines, too.
- Google News
- Yahoo News - Wire services and major newspapers. Provides RSS feeds for major categories and for tracking your search terms
- 1st Headlines - Breaking news from many sources
- Ananova - British news site
- Ask News
- Bing News Search
- Drudge Report - Links to news stories and extensive links to news sites. Has been accused of sloppy journalism and everything has a rightward tilt. Caveat lector.
- Global Voices Online - Blog that links to international sources for news not often heard in the U.S.
- IceRocket News - Provides an RSS feed to track your search over time
- Lycos News - Various sources, including Wired
- News Now (U.K.)
- News Trove
- Rocket News
- Topix.net - News from thousands of U.S. cities and towns and news on dozens of industries, in addition to the usual world, sports, etc. And all topics are available as RSS feeds!
- World News Network
- Collaborative News Web Sites, below
- My Yahoo - The news part of the page is actually a Web-based RSS aggregator. If you don't know what that is, see how to read RSS feeds
These sites allow you to personalize what news you see.
News Web Directories
- ABYZ News Links - Newspapers and other news media
- Kidon Media Link - News sources
- News Frontier Database - Directory of online-only news sources (Columbia Journalism Review)
- NewsWealth - Newspapers, magazines, radio and TV stations, and more
- Real-Time Information - Not everything here is exactly news, but good stuff like sites for tracking traffic, lightning strikes, and airline flights (ResourceShelf)
Collaborative News Web Sites
- Digg - Technology news, mostly; allows tagging and grouping links by user or groups of friends
- Kuro5hin - "Technology and culture, from the trenches"
- Metafilter - One of the biggest and oldest collaborative sites
- Memepool - Also available sorted by subject
- Newsvine - Making new contributions is known as "seeding the vine"
- Plastic.com - A compendium of some of the best stories on the Web, with readers' comments
- Reddit - Users suggest news stories. As you use Reddit, it starts to suggest stories for you.
- Slashdot - Their motto is "News for nerds. Stuff that matters." A communal blog for coders, hackers, et al.
These collaborative Web sites allow readers to post links and commentary on the news.